This policy supports our Sustainability Policy and sets a basis for our materials procurement.
We are committed to responsibly choosing materials and components using sustainable sources where practicable.
We will do this by:
- complying with all applicable environmental and health and safety legislation.
- not using any timber from species prohibited under CITES or from illegal sources
- encouraging the use of timber products from sustainable sources and the use of custody certification schemes such as FSC or PEFC.
- encouraging the use of components or packaging with a low or zero Ozone Depletion Factor.
- promoting the use of recycled products and materials or those containing a high recycled content.
- promoting the use of durable materials and products with increased lifespan.
- encouraging the use of materials with a low embodied energy/carbon impact.
- not using products containing lead in a form that may be ingested or inhaled by people.
- encouraging the use of products that have low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) content.
- encouraging the use of products using non toxic materials & avoiding refrigerants with high Global Warming Potential.
- purchasing white goods with EU Energy Label ‘A’ rating or international equivalent wherever possible.
- purchasing IT equipment with low energy usage technologies.
- sourcing products and materials locally wherever practicable.
- promoting use of biodegradable cleaning products.
- promoting use of paper from sustainable or recycled sources.
- encouraging the reuse of materials to minimise waste.
This policy is effective from 01 April 2016